May 20-26th is National Dog Bite Prevention Week, which begs the question—is your family dog covered by your home insurance policy?
Many homeowners in Ohio don’t realize their home insurance policy may not cover man’s best friend. In fact, many dog breeds—like Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Doberman Pinschers—are specifically excluded from traditional homeowners insurance policies. That’s unfortunate because dog bites are far more common than you might think.
Here are the facts, as reported by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA):
- 4.7 million people in the United States are bitten by dogs every year
- 800,000 Americans receive medical attention for dog bites each year
- Children are by far the most common victims of dog bites
- Most dog bites affecting young children occur during everyday activities and while interacting with familiar dogs
- Senior citizens are the second most common dog bite victims