St. Patrick’s Day is typically a day where everyone is Irish and the urge to indulge in some of Ireland’s finest spirits arises. Above all, safe driving is the key to having safe and enjoyable holiday.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, NHTSA, there were 276 drunk-driving fatalities between 2009 and 2013 over St. Patrick’s Day. Over the years, that number has dramatically decreased due to active PSAs and marketing about the necessity to drive safe over the holiday.
Alcohol intake should always be avoided when driving is concerned for your sake and the sake of others around you.
A few tips to keep in mind while heading out for some fun —
- Designate a person to remain sober and drive for others
- Have a list of alternative drivers, such as friends, family or cab services
- Never allow a person you think has been drinking get behind the wheel of an automobile
- Remember that buzzed driving, is drunk driving
- Wear your seatbelt whenever in the car to protect yourself from other drivers
Common sense and responsibility are by far the biggest deterrents of drunk driving. Play it safe and you’ll be as lucky as the Irish.
For more safe driving tips and auto insurance quotes, contact the team at Burkhart Insurance.